Why Make Your Own Toothpaste?
Many mainstream brands of toothpastes contain harmful or even toxic ingredients such as:
- Triclosan, a pesticide and hormone disruptor.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) which causes canker sores for many people.
- Artificial colorings linked to ADHD and hyperactivity in children. Toothpaste does not need to be blue!
- Fluoride, which can be toxic if swallowed and doesn’t even work in toothpaste.
- Titanium dioxide, which is added to make a toothpaste white. Most of the data shows it’s safe and is not absorbed by the skin, but I have yet to find a study done to measure absorption by oral tissues. It’s just there to make toothpaste white, not improve your health. So why bother with it?
- Glycerin, which isn’t toxic, but has no place in the mouth as it’s a soap that strips your body’s natural oral mucosa and leaves a film. This film could coat the teeth, messing with the structure of the biofilm which could alter the microbiome in the mouth and impact the natural remineralization process — your body’s natural cavity-fighting mechanism.
- Highly abrasive ingredients, which damage enamel, making teeth sensitive and more prone to gum recession and cavities. Toothpaste should be only a little bit abrasive — this graininess aids the brushing motion to remove the biofilm of the tooth.
The benefits of homemade mouthwash
There are multiple benefits for creating your own mouthwash. Here is a list of benefits:
- Inexpensive – Homemade mouthwash will be a fraction of the cost of store bought mouthwashes with the same or better performance
- No harmful chemicals – Manufacturers often include dyes, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and other chemicals that are harmful to you or the environment. When you make your own mouthwash, you know exactly what is it and can tender it to your needs.
- Alcohol-free – It is hard to find quality mouthwash that does not contain alcohol which dries out the mouth and causes bad breath. If you make your own you can choose not to include alcohol.
- You control the quality of ingredients – When you make your own mouthwash you may choose to use ingredients of only the finest quality. In order to optimize profits some manufactures may choose to cut costs by using ingredients of questionable quality.
Or, buy all natural Young Living toothpaste and mouthwash here!